St. Theresa's College, Quezon City(STCQC),established in January 7, 1947, is a Catholic private school for girls run by the Missionary Sisters of the "Immaculati Cordis Mariae" or Immaculate Heart of Mary (ICM).
St. Theresa’s College, Quezon City (STCQC) offers programs from the kindergarten level through the elementary and secondary levels. As an ICM school, its whole educational program draws inspiration from Mother Marie Louise De Meester, Foundress of ICM.
Its students are called “Theresians”, from the name of its patroness St. Teresa of Avila. Heading the school for the ICM sisters is Sr. Josefina Nebres, the school directress.
Mother Marie Louise De Meester (born on April 8, 1857 in Roesalare, West Flanders, Belgium) and her novices arrived on the shores of Tagudin, Ilocos Sur on June 21, 1910. Tagudin became the foundation of the ICM missionary work throughout the Philippines which gave birth to ranking institutions of learning in the country including the different campuses of St. Theresa's College.
Mother Marie Louise De Meester founded St. Theresa's College, Manila (STCM) in 1915 at the expressed invitation of the Most Reverend Jeremiah James Harty, the first American Archbishop of Manila. When World War II wrought havoc on the St. Theresa's College in San Marcelino, Manila, leaving it in ruins, little hope was left for the rebuilding of its physical structure.
While St. Theresa's College Manila was re-built, re-opened and continued to be run by the Belgian Sisters until 1980 (over a two-year phase out; STCM property was eventually sold to Adamson University), steps were taken after WWII to look for a property which would be larger than the San Marcelino Compound.
In January 1946, a contract was signed for the purchase of a property consisting of five (5) blocks, in Sta. Mesa Heights, Quezon City. The US Army, which previously occupied the place, left a rudimentary make-shift building, later to be utilized temporarily for the classrooms of St.
Theresa's College, Quezon City, and for the quarters of the Sisters.January 7, 1947, marked the establishment of STCQC. However, the school was officially opened only in June 1947.
The institution, from the first days of its foundation, had consistently stressed at all levels of instruction, the wholistic formation of the Theresian into a committed Christian upholding the highest standards of excellence, leadership, character and nationhood.
In 1972, the ICM Congregation launched a social orientation thrust for all its educational and socio-pastoral ministries making St. Theresa’s College, Quezon City a pilot school in the implementation of its thrust. One ICM sister was then commissioned to prepare a program for St. Theresa’s College, Quezon City which called forth the school to make available the educational program to deserving families from the lower-middle-income group by way of socialized tuition fee through Sambayan Educational Foundation Inc. (SEFI), the funding arm.
Adoption of the social orientation thrust further meant for St. Theresa’s College, Quezon City, a review of policies, structures, governance and programs to make them responsive to its thrust.
St. Theresa's College, Quezon City is a member of the Catholic Education Association of the Philippines (CEAP), and the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU) and avails itself of the services of the institutions and groups working for the reorientation of education in the Philippines.
St. Theresa’s College, Quezon City High School Department was first accredited in March 1966 and re-accredited in February 1970, February 1976, October 1981, December 1986, November 1991, December 1996 when it was awarded the first girl’s school to receive a 7-year accreditation, and in November 2003.
The Grade School Department was accredited in October 1992 and re-accredited in November 1995, November 2000 and November 2005.
Incorporation: The original certificate of St. Theresa's College, Quezon City was issued on February 19, 1947.